Monday, April 16, 2012

Medication

To medicate or not to medicate! That is the question on many people's mind. Well, during the first year of my SLS (supported living services) experience, my supervisor and I thought it would be fit to take our severely autistic client off the medication he was on for a very long time. I'd like to say he was on medication for more than five years. We noticed he would become drowsy and really unresponsive (in terms of communication), so we asked the doctor if we could try taking this gentleman off medication. The doctor agreed to a trial period and it worked. The autistic gentleman did not go back to using medicine but remained without it. He is more responsive and active without medication. It has been one year since he has stopped taking medication. With this said, I also acknowledge that not everyone will have similar experiences. Some people might need medication in order to feel active but it's worth discussing this topic with your doctor and at least agreeing to a trial period.

No comments:

Post a Comment