Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Public Scene

Did your autistic child ever have a behavior breakdown in public setting? Were you embarrassed? Were you more concerned about what others were thinking than attending to your child/children? I have had this happen to me several times. There have been times when I have been scratched up so badly by individuals with autism that I was bleeding! This has happened at Target stores, public parks, sidewalks, and school environments. Initially I would always be concerned about what others around me were thinking but attending to the autistic individual took precedence. I, eventually, learned that it was more important to first attend to the autistic child/adult and then explain things to the public. If you reside in an area where knowledge on autism is known, you might not encounter too many people who stare at you and don't know what's going on. That is why it is important to expose the public to such behavior outbreaks so that they may learn the full potential of autism. Educating your community about autism will help expose autism. Please do not resort to eliminating outings such as parks and stores from you autistic child's/children's schedule. Instead continue with it so that the public and you may learn more about autism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment